Just Click on Any Picture Below to Make it Large for Viewing!!
The 30th Infantry Division (German: 30. Infanterie-Division) of the Wehrmacht was created on 1 October 1936 in Lübeck and mobilized on 26 August 1939 for the upcoming invasion of Poland. At that time, it consisted of the usual German infantry division elements: three infantry regiments of three battalions each, one three-battalion regiment of light artillery, one battalion of heavy artillery, a panzerjager (anti-tank) battalion, an aufklärungs (reconnaissance) battalion, a signals battalion, a pioneer (engineer) battalion, and divisional supply, medical, and administrative units.
Just prior to the invasion of Poland, the division was positioned on the left wing of Army Group South under the X Army Corps. It was to attack in the general direction of the area in front of Łódź. It fought battles in areas of Kalisch, during the Vistula crossing at Warta, also at Kol. Balin, Niewiesz, and Uniejew. During the Battle of Bzura, they suffered heavy losses, including 1500 POWs captured by the Poles. They had to reject violent counterattacks and attempts to escape by the trapped Polish troops. Their commander Major General von Briesen personally led his last held in reserve battalion into battle and was seriously wounded and lost his right forearm. The Division henceforth was referred to as “Briesen Division”. After the Battle of Bzura was over, the division moved north of Lowicz in pursuit of the defeated enemy.
On 16 June 1940, the unit conducted a victory parade in Paris.
In the winter of 1941, the division was trapped in the Demyansk Pocket along with the 12th, 32nd, 123rd and 290th infantry divisions, and the SS-Division Totenkopf, as well as RAD, police, Todt organization and other auxiliary units, for a total of about 90,000 German troops and around 10,000 auxiliaries. Their commander was General der Infanterie Walter Graf von Brockdorff-Ahlefeldt, commander of the II. Armeekorps (2nd Army Corps).
Infanterie-Division, later the 78th Sturm (Assault) Division, was a German infantry formation which fought during World War II.
The 79th Infantry Division (79. Infanterie-Division) was an infantry division of Nazi Germany’s Wehrmacht during World War II.
The 131st Infantry Division (German: 131. Infanteriedivision) was a German Heer infantry division in World War II.
The 164th Infantry Division (German: 164. Infanterie-Division) was an infantry division of the German Army during World War II. Formed in November 1939, the division took part in the invasion of Greece in April 1941. In January 1942, consolidating the Axis seizure of the island during the Battle of Crete, the 164th was reorganized as Fortress Division Kreta (FDK). In mid-1942, the division was transferred to North Africa and re-designated as 164th Light Afrika Division (German: Leichte Afrika Division). It surrendered in May 1943 in Tunisia at the end of the North African Campaign.
The German 212th Infantry Division was raised in August 1939 and remained on garrison duty in Germany until March 1941, when it spent three months as a coastal defense unit along the English Channel. In November 1941 it was transferred to the Eastern Front where it joined Army Group North near Leningrad and along the Volkhov Front. It continued with Army Group North until the summer of 1944, when it had been pushed back to Lithuania and was transferred to the control of Army Group Center. The division was destroyed there in August or September, and the survivors were immediately reconstituted as the 578th Volksgrenadier Division, which was renamed as 212th Volksgrenadier Division almost as soon as it had been formed.