- Adolf Hitler was born.
- Pierre Laval, the premier of Vichy France, in a radio broadcast, establishes a policy of “true reconciliation with Germany.”
- Turkey stopped exporting chrome to Germany. On August 2, Turkey ended all relations with the Nazis.
- Soviet troops began their attack on Berlin due to this date being Adolf Hitler’s 56th birthday.
- Allied bombers in Italy begin a three-day attack on the bridges over the rivers the Adige and Brenta to cut off German lines of retreat on the peninsula. Meanwhile,
- Allied forces took control of the German cities of Nuremberg and Stuttgart.