Brandenburgers – German Special Forces / Brandenburger – Deutsche Spezialeinheiten
The Brandenburgers (German: Brandenburger) were members of the Brandenburg German Special forces unit during World War II. Originally the unit was formed by and operated as an extension of the military’s intelligence organ, the Abwehr. Members of this unit took part in seizing operationally important targets by way of sabotage and infiltration. Comprised by foreign German nationals who were convinced volunteers, constituent members had lived abroad and were proficient in foreign languages as well as being familiar with the way of life in the area of operations where they were deployed.
The Brandenburg Division was generally subordinated to the army groups in individual commands and operated throughout Eastern Europe, in southern Africa, Afghanistan, the Middle East and in the Caucasus. In the later course of the war, parts of the special unit were used in the fight against partisans in Yugoslavia before the Division, in the last months of the war, was reclassified and merged into one of the Panzer Grenadier Divisions.
Just Click on Any Picture Below to Make it Large for Viewing!!
Assorted Gallery of Photos
Brandenburgers in Russian uniform in the summer of 1941. The Brandenburgers (German: Brandenburger) were members of the Brandenburg German Special Forces unit during World War II.
Pause for a photo by the shock troops of the Brandenburger in the Knochensack of the Fallschirmjäger in Splittertarn camouflage. Below with sniper killer Mauser K98k with a 4x Zeiss rifle scope ZF 42, right with caliber rifle grenade caliber 30 mm (a grenade launcher for the rifle), which was also known as a shooting cup. Brandenburger fought alone, in pairs, in the squad (3-7 men), in the group of twelve (3 squads of 4 men) up to an extended company strength of 300+ men.
Commandos of the Brandenburg unit and paratroopers were transported on board of a vessel of the Kriegsmarine after sucessful attack on the island of Leros, November 18 1943.
Wilhelm Walther, the first Knight’s Cross bearer of the Brandenburgers.
Brandenbuger Wilhelm Walther.
SS paratroopers of the Battalion 500 with the Titos uniform after the company “Rösselsprung” , 1944. To the left of the paratrooper stands a Brandenburger with a Wehrmacht chest eagle and a field blouse made of Italian camouflage material. Parts of the 1st Regiment (Jäger Regiment 1 “Brandenburg”) of Major Wilhelm Walther of the Division “Brandenburg” participated.