Just Click on Any Picture Below to Make it Large for Viewing!!
Tiergarten Flak Tower – Zoo Tower
The Zoo flak tower, (German: Flakturm Tiergarten, Tiergarten Flak Tower or commonly referred to as the Zoo Tower), was a fortified flak tower that existed in Berlin from 1941 to 1947. It was one of several flak towers that protected Berlin from Allied bomber raids. Its primary role was as a gun platform to protect the government building district of Berlin, in addition the Hochbunker (blockhouse) was designed to be used as a civilian air-raid shelter. It also contained a hospital and a radio transmitter for use by the German leadership, and provided secure storage facilities for art treasures.
During the Battle of Berlin, it acted as a citadel and by depressing its large anti-aircraft artillery, its garrison was able to provide support for ground operations against the encroaching Soviet Red Army.