Just Click on Any Picture Below to Make it Large for Viewing!!
Military Museum Lešany – Czech Republic
The Military Technical Museum Lešany is a museum of military vehicles located in the Czech Republic about 20 kilometers south of Prague. Its exposition contains over 700 historic tanks, cannons, motorcycles, armored vehicles, trucks, military passenger vehicles, missile systems and other military equipment manufactured in the period from 1890 up to present.
The Museum was established in 1996 in a former artillery barracks between the villages of Krhanice and Lešany, near Týnec nad Sázavou. The collections are presented in 9 small halls, 6 roofed areas and also in the open air. Since 2003, a so-called ‘Tank Day’ is held every year at the end of the season (usually end of August/beginning of September) in the area of the museum, where many of the tanks and other military vehicles from the museum’s collection are presented in dynamic displays. The army of the Czech Republic participates in these events, therefore current military equipment of the Czech Army can also be seen on display. There are also events at the beginning of every season (in May) which are usually dedicated to other branches of ground equipment, like “Artillery day”, “AAA day”, “Tatra day”, etc.
Musée de l’Armée – Paris, France
The Army Museum is a French national military museum located in the Hôtel des Invalides in the 7th arrondissement of Paris.
Musée national de la Marine – Brest, France
The National Maritime Museum of Brest is one of five national museums of the Navy with Port Louis, Rochefort, Toulon, and Paris. The museum of Brest, located within the framework of the castle, shelters a heritage testifying of the history of the arsenal of Brest and the French Navy.
The visit of this maritime museum combines interior and exterior and allows to discover its maritime collections: models of ships, instruments of navigation, paintings, sculptures (figures of bow and stern, busts of legendary figures related to the maritime world), and objects of art.
- Guided tours by reservation in French and English – professional guides.
- Guided tours every day in July and August.
- Night visits every Wednesday in summer by reservation.
- Animations for school.
- Relay teacher, pedagogical files, evolutionary model, dedicated rooms.
- Thematic visits: castle architecture, shipbuilding, naval decoration, life on board, arsenal, Lapérouse expedition.
Museum of Aviation – Belgrade, Serbia
The Museum of Aviation (formerly the Yugoslav Aeronautical Museum) was founded in 1957 in Surčin, Belgrade. The museum is located adjacent to Belgrade Nikola Tesla Airport. The current facility, designed by architect Ivan Štraus, was opened to the public on May 21, 1989.
Museum of Flight – Tukwila, United States
The Museum of Flight is a private non-profit air and space museum in the northwest United States. It is located at the southern end of King County International Airport (Boeing Field), in the city of Tukwila, just south of Seattle. It was established in 1965 and is fully accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. As the largest private air and space museum in the world, it also hosts the largest K-12 educational programs in the world.
The museum attracts over 500,000 visitors every year. The museum serves more than 140,000 students yearly through both its onsite programs: a Challenger Learning Center, an Aviation Learning Center, and a summer camp (ACE), as well as outreach programs that travel throughout Washington and Oregon.
Museum of Military History – Vienna, Austria
The Museum of Military History – Military History Institute (German: Heeresgeschichtliches Museum – Militärhistorisches Institut) in Vienna is the leading museum of the Austrian Armed Forces. It documents the history of Austrian military affairs through a wide range of exhibits comprising, above all, weapons, armours, tanks, aeroplanes, uniforms, flags, paintings, medals and badges of honour, photographs, battleship models, and documents. Although the museum is owned by the Federal Government, it is not affiliated to the Federal museums but is organised as a subordinate agency reporting directly to the Ministry of Defence and Sports.
Museum of the Great Patriotic War – Moscow, Russia
The Museum of the Great Patriotic War is a history museum located in Moscow at Poklonnaya Gora. The building was designed by architect Anatoly Polyansky. Work on the museum began on March 3, 1986, and the museum was opened to the public on May 9, 1995. The museum features exhibits and memorials concerning World War II, known in Russia as “The Great Patriotic War”.
The Museum of the Slovak National Uprising (SNP) – Banská Bystrica, Slovakia
The Museum of the Slovak National Uprising (SNP) is situated in an architecturally unusual building built in 1969 as the Memorial of the Slovak National Uprising. It is located in the middle of a park that includes an open-air museum of heavy military equipment used in the SNP.
The building symbolically divided into two parts linked by a bridge. Under the bridge, in the reverence hall with the tomb of the Unknown Soldier, burns the ever-burning light. The author of the memorial is Dušan Kuzma. The building is situated on the south-western edge of the historical centre of Banská Bystrica. A plane that provided the supplies to partisans using the airport Tri Duby in Sliač is located near the entrance to the park.
The museum specialises in documenting the development of the Slovak society in the wartime years 1938 – 1945. Its exhibitions as well as the archives concentrate on materials concerning anti-fascist national fight for liberty and the Slovak National Uprising.
In 2004 a new permanent exhibition was opened in the museum concerning the anti-fascist resistance movement in Europe in the years 1939 – 1945.
National Air and Space Museum of the Smithsonian Institution
The National Air and Space Museum of the Smithsonian Institution, also called the NASM, is a museum in Washington, D.C.. It holds the largest collection of historic aircraft and spacecraft in the world. It was established in 1946 as the National Air Museum and opened its main building on the National Mall near L’Enfant Plaza in 1976. In 2016, the museum saw approximately 7.5 million visitors, making it the second most visited museum in the world, and the most visited museum in the United States. The museum contains the Apollo 11 command module, the Friendship 7 capsule which was flown by John Glenn, Charles Lindbergh’s The Spirit of St. Louis, the Bell X-1 which broke the sound barrier, and the Wright brothers’ plane near the entrance.
The National Air and Space Museum is a center for research into the history and science of aviation and spaceflight, as well as planetary science and terrestrial geology and geophysics. Almost all space and aircraft on display are originals or the original backup craft. It operates an annex, the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, at Dulles International Airport, which opened in 2003 and itself encompasses 760,000 square feet (71,000 m2). The museum currently conducts restoration of its collection at the Paul E. Garber Preservation, Restoration, and Storage Facility in Suitland, Maryland, while steadily moving such restoration and archival activities into the Mary Baker Engen Restoration Hangar, a part of the Udvar-Hazy annex facilities as of 2014.
National Museum of Flight – Scotland, United Kingdom
The National Museum of Flight is Scotland’s national aviation museum at East Fortune Airfield, just south of the village of East Fortune, in East Lothian. It is one of the museums within National Museums Scotland. The museum is housed in the original wartime buildings of RAF East Fortune which is one of the best preserved wartime airfields in the UK. As a result of this, the entire site is a scheduled ancient monument with no permanent structures added by the museum. The hangars, control tower and stores were designated as Category B listed buildings by Historic Scotland, but this designation was removed in 2013 as they were already covered by the stricter scheduling.
National Museum of the United States Air Force
The National Museum of the United States Air Force (formerly the United States Air Force Museum) is the official museum of the United States Air Force located at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, 6 miles (9.7 km) northeast of Dayton, Ohio. The NMUSAF has one of the world’s largest collections with more than 360 aircraft and missiles on display. The museum draws over 1.3 million visitors each year making it one of the most frequently visited tourist attractions in Ohio.
The National WWII Museum – New Orleans, United States
The National WWII Museum, formerly known as The National D-Day Museum, is a military history museum located in the Central Business District of New Orleans, Louisiana, on Andrew Higgins Drive between Camp Street and Magazine Street. The museum focuses on the contribution made by the United States to Allied victory in World War II. Founded in 2000, it was later designated by the U.S. Congress as America’s official National WWII Museum in 2003. The museum maintains an affiliation with the Smithsonian Institution. The mission statement of the museum emphasizes the American experience in World War II.
Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum
Late in 1972, a few local enthusiasts met and decided that steps should be taken to record something of the history of aviation in the Eastern counties, and preserve aircraft and artefacts. A society was formed early the following year and activities commenced; a Nissen hut behind the Flixton post office soon became the base. In May 1976, the (now) museum was officially opened by the late Wing Commander Ken Wallis who went on to become President.
A larger building was soon required for the growing collection and efforts to find a suitable site on or around the Bungay/Flixton airfield were rewarded when a barn next to the Flixton Buck Inn was offered, along with the use of a meadow for aircraft. When further expansion needs arose they were met with the purchase in 1984 of almost 8 acres of land from the owners of the Buck Inn, and work commenced on sourcing and erecting buildings and a hangar. The barn was eventually vacated in 1990.
The theme of the collection has grown from 1) the occupation of the airfield by the 446th Bomb Group USAAF, followed briefly by the Fleet Air Arm and then the Royal Air Force, and 2) aviation in the East of England. These broad headings have permitted a very varied collection of aircraft and artefacts to be gathered and displayed, and virtually everything has been donated by visitors. The collection continues to grow and when appropriate a new building is erected, although unused space is becoming scarce owing to the need to provide for car parking.
The collection early in 2014 comprised 66 aircraft (including cockpits), and more than 30,000 smaller artefacts. 11 aircraft and 6 cockpits are displayed outdoors but everything else is on view within themed buildings for the Royal Observer Corps No. 6 Group, the 446th (H) Bomb Group USAAF, RAF Bomber Command, RAF Air-Sea Rescue & Coastal Command, and local aviation from the pioneer years to the present day. There are also numerous exhibitions on special subjects including WWII Decoy Crews, Boulton & Paul Norwich, RAF Link Trainers, aerial photography, radio/radar/electronic counter measures, the Home Front, and Luftwaffe wreckology. Facilities include a Shop, Archive & Library, snack area (NAAFI), picnic tables, and a raised boardwalk to the river through a Willow plantation – the Adair Walk.
Norwegian Armed Forces Aircraft Collection
Norwegian Armed Forces Aircraft Collection (Forsvarets flysamling Gardermoen) is a military aviation museum located at Gardermoen, north of Oslo, Norway. The founding of the Norwegian Aviation Historical Society in 1967, gave the first boost to the idea of preserving aircraft in Norway. The Collection’s Heinkel He 111 and Northrop N-3PB are among the aircraft traced, recovered and restored at the instigation of the NAHS. From the latter part of the 1970s onwards, a considerable number of historical aircraft were assembled in an old ex-Luftwaffe hangar at Gardermoen and from the mid-1980s the public were admitted to the hangar during summer. Most of the activities were – and still are – based on voluntary effort.
The establishment of the Norwegian Aviation Museum in Bodø in 1992 created in intense debate in the country, especially since it was the original intention to transfer all objects at Gardermoen to Bodø. After some years a compromise was found, and in 1997 funds were allocated for a new building at Gardermoen to house a military aviation museum. The new building was inaugurated in May 2000. From 1 January 2015 the collection is part of the Norwegian Air Force Museum/Armed Forces Museums.
Peenemünde Historical Technical Museum
The Peenemünde Historical Technical Museum (German: Historisch-Technisches Museum Peenemünde or HTM), former “Peenemünde Information Centre for History and Technology” (German: Historisch-Technisches Informationszentrum Peenemünde or HTI) is a museum, founded in 1991, in the observation bunker and site of the former power station in Peenemünde on the island of Usedom in eastern Mecklenburg-Vorpommern in Germany. The museum is dedicated to the history of the Peenemünde Army Research Centre and the Luftwaffe test site of “Peenemünde-West”, especially the rockets and missiles developed there between 1936 and 1945. Since January 2007, the information centre has become an anchor point on the European Route of Industrial Heritage (ERIH), a Europe-wide network of industrial monuments, and a part of the ERIH themed routes for Energy and Transport & Communication.
In 2008, the museum had 222,000 visitors including many school classes. Around € 6.5M were invested in the museum’s renovation and expansion; a further investment of € 3.9 M is planned. In 2002 the HTM was given the Coventry Cross of Nails and in 2013 the European Union Prize for Cultural Heritage / Europa Nostra Award .
Polish Army Museum
Museum of the Polish Army (Polish: Muzeum Wojska Polskiego) is a museum in Warsaw documenting the military aspects of the history of Poland. Created in 1920, it occupies a wing of the building of the Polish National Museum as well as several branches in Poland. It’s Warsaw’s second largest museum and the largest collection of military objects in Poland. The collection illustrates a thousand years of Polish military history – from the 10th century to the Second World War.
Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada – Winnipeg, Canada
The Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada (formerly the Western Canada Aviation Museum) is a museum in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. It is the second largest aviation museum in Canada. The collection is housed in an original Trans-Canada Air Lines hangar dating from the 1930s.
Royal Air Force Museum – Cosford, England
The Royal Air Force Museum Cosford, located in Cosford in Shropshire, is a museum dedicated to the history of aviation and the Royal Air Force in particular. The museum is part of the Royal Air Force Museum, a non-departmental public body sponsored by the Ministry of Defence and a registered charity. The museum is spread over two sites in England; the other site is at the Royal Air Force Museum London at Colindale (near Hendon) in north London.
Royal Air Force Museum – London, England
The Royal Air Force Museum London, commonly called the RAF Museum, is located on the former Hendon Aerodrome, with five major buildings and hangars dedicated to the history of aviation and the Royal Air Force. It is part of the Royal Air Force Museum, a non-departmental public body sponsored by the Ministry of Defence and a registered charity.
A second collection of exhibits, plus aircraft restoration facilities, is housed at the Royal Air Force Museum Cosford at RAF Cosford in Shropshire, five miles northwest of Wolverhampton.
Royal Military College of Canada
The Royal Military College of Canada (French: Collège militaire royal du Canada), commonly abbreviated as RMCC or RMC, is the military college of the Canadian Armed Forces, and is a degree-granting university training military officers. RMC was established in 1876 and is the only federal institution in Canada with degree-granting powers. The Royal Military College of Canada Degrees Act, 1959 empowers the college to confer degrees in arts, science, and engineering. Programs are offered at the undergraduate and graduate levels both on campus as well as through the College’s distance learning programme via the Division of Continuing Studies.
Located on Point Frederick, a 41-hectare (101-acre) peninsula in Kingston, Ontario, the college is a blend of older, historic buildings, as well as more modern academic, athletic, and dormitory facilities. Officer cadets of the Royal Military College of Canada are trained in what are known as the “four pillars” of academics, officership, athletics, and bilingualism.
Sammlung Historischer Panzer der Armee – Thun, Switzerland
The museum is inside a Swiss military camp. There are a lot of old historical panzers. Americans, British, Germans, Russian panzers and vehicles remind you of the great battles especially from the second world war. You will need to come during daylight hours and have a passport since this is a military base.
Schweizerisches Militärmuseum Full – Full-Reuenthal, Switzerland
The Schweizerisches Militärmuseum Full is the Swiss military museum, located in Full-Reuenthal, canton Aargau. The museum displays military hardware and uniforms of Swiss and foreign armed forces, mainly from World War II and the Cold War.
Shropshire Regimental Museum – Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
The Regimental Museum was established in 1985 and is housed in the medieval border fortress of Shrewsbury Castle.
The Castle houses the spectacular collections of the Shropshire Regimental Museum Trust including pictures, uniforms, medals, silverware, weapons and other artefacts from the 18th Century to the present day.
There is also a Modern Army display (including information on The Rifles), items from the collections of the Lords Lieutenant of Shropshire and a history of the Castle itself.
The oldest parts of the Castle were built between 1067 and 1074, during the reign of William the Conqueror and, gradually rebuilt in stone, it became a major border fortress in the Middle Ages. After the conquest of Wales by 1300, the Castle fell into disrepair but in the late 16th century it was revived to become a domestic residence.
Refortified and briefly besieged during the Civil Wars (1642-51), the Castle was returned to a domestic use under Charles II. In the late 18th century Thomas Telford remodelled the Great Hall as a private house, which it remained until just after World War One.
The Castle was acquired by the Corporation of Shrewsbury in 1924 through the generosity of Shropshire Horticultural Society. Having been used as the borough council chamber for most of the 20th century, Shrewsbury Castle became the home of the Shropshire Regimental Museum in 1985.
Sinsheim Auto & Technik Museum
The Auto & Technik Museum Sinsheim is a technology museum in Sinsheim, Germany. Opened in 1981, it is run by a registered association called “Auto & Technik Museum Sinsheim e.V.” which also runs the Technik Museum Speyer.
Technik Museum Speyer – Speyer, Germany
The Technik Museum Speyer is a technology museum in Speyer (Rhineland-Palatinate), Germany.
United States Army Ordnance Museum
The U.S. Army Ordnance Museum is a museum that is in the process of being re-located to Fort Lee, outside Petersburg, Virginia. Its previous building—at Aberdeen Proving Ground in Aberdeen, Maryland—closed in September 2010.
The mission of the U.S. Army Ordnance Museum is to acquire, preserve, and exhibit historically significant equipment, armaments and materiel that relates to the history of the U.S. Army Ordnance Corps and to document and present the evolution and development of U.S. military ordnance material dating from the American Colonial Period to present day.
United States Naval Shipbuilding Museum – United States
The United States Naval Shipbuilding Museum is a private non-profit museum in Quincy, Massachusetts featuring USS Salem (CA-139), a heavy cruiser docked at the former Fore River Shipyard where she was laid down in 1945. The museum was established in 1993, in response to efforts by local officials and volunteers to revive the shipyard area after operations at Fore River ended in 1986. Several exhibits are on board Salem relating to United States naval history and shipbuilding. Before being moved to a different pier, the museum featured dockside fixtures and a miniature golf course.
West Point Museum – United States
The mission of the West Point Museum is to collect, preserve, exhibit, and interpret historically significant artifacts pertaining to the United States Military Academy, United States Army and the Profession of Arms. The Museum will supplement cadet academic, cultural and military instruction and provide educational programs and services for military and civilian personnel. As a public institution, the museum stimulates interest in the United States Military Academy, the United States Army and the Military profession.
Private Collections of Individual Owners