German War Industry during the Nazi German Era 1933-1945.
Just Click on Any Picture Below to Make it Large for Viewing!!
Black and White Photos
Blohm+Voss (B+V), also written historically as Blohm & Voss, Blohm und Voß, etc., is a German shipbuilding and engineering company. Founded in Hamburg in 1877 to specialize in steel-hulled ships with its most famous product being the World War II battleship Bismarck.
In the 1930s its owners established the Hamburger Flugzeugbau aircraft manufacturer which, shortly before the outbreak of World War II, adopted the name of its parent company.
Following a difficult period after the war, B+V revived its fortunes by becoming a public company under a change of ownership. In 2016, it became a subsidiary of Lürssen and continues to supply both the military and civil markets. The company also carries out related activities, managing a dockyard in Hamburg and undertaking maintenance and repair of large cruise ships. Since the acquisition, it has been concentrated in three areas: warships (new construction), cruise ships and merchants (repairs) and yacht refitting. The company has been in operation, building ships and other large machinery, almost continuously for 142 years.
Kriegsmarinewerft (or, prior to 1935, Reichsmarinewerft) Wilhelmshaven was, between 1918 and 1945, a naval shipyard in the German Navy’s extensive base at Wilhelmshaven, (80 miles (130 km) west of Hamburg).
- Industry – Shipbuilding
- Fate – Dismantled after World War II
- Founded – 1918
- Defunct – 1945
- Headquarters – Wilhelmshaven, Germany
- Products – Warships, U-boats
The shipyard was founded on the site of the Wilhelmshaven Imperial Shipyard which had been closed down after World War I.
In 1935, the name was changed to Kriegsmarinewerft Wilhelmshaven (Wilhelmshaven Naval Shipyard) when the German Navy (Reichsmarine) was renamed Kriegsmarine by the Third Reich
During 1939-1945, the yard’s main activities were in building U-boats and repairing damaged warships. Personnel were often assigned to organizing naval facilities in occupied countries, e.g., in the ports of Lorient, Brest, and St. Nazaire. At the war’s end, there were about 17,000 workers.
Polish and British troops reached Wilhelmshaven in May 1945. For a time, the yard refurbished ships to be sent to the Allies as war reparations but, from 1946, most buildings and equipment were either dismantled or blown up.
Since 1957, part of the site has housed an arsenal for the German Navy (Deutsche Bundesmarine).
Selection of Ships Built:
- 1920-1922: 28 Fishing Vessels
- 1922: Four Cargo Ships
- 1925: Light Cruiser Emden
- 1926-1928: Six Torpedo-Boats
- 1929: K-Class Light Cruiser Königsberg
- 1930: K-Class Light Cruiser Köln
- 1931: Gunnery Training Ship Bremse
- 1934: Deutschland-Class Panzerschiff (armored ship, later classified as a heavy cruiser) Admiral Scheer
- 1936: Deutschland-Class Panzerschiff Admiral Graf Spee
- 1939: Scharnhorst-Class Battleship Scharnhorst
- 1941: Bismarck-Class Battleship Tirpitz
- 1941-1944: 27 Type VII Submarines
Porsche Factory Gmünd
The Porsche factory Gmünd in Gmünd was 1944-1950 design and production plant of the car manufacturer Porsche. By order of Nazi government agencies, Ferdinand Porsche moved in November 1944, the headquarters of the design office of Stuttgart in the less threatened by bombing Carinthia, where it traded under the name Porsche Constructions Ges .mbH. In 1948, the first vehicle named Porsche was produced in Gmünd with the Porsche 356 No. 1 Roadster. In 1950, the company returned to its headquarters in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen and finally abandoned the Gmünd location in March 1951.