Disclaimer-In no way does this website support Racism, Hate, Propaganda, or the National Socialist / Neo-Nazi Views. It does honor hard-working, loyal German Citizens that served their country, not the government of that time. While every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the information on the website, no liability is accepted for any consequences of using it. We use material from many sources and confirm the accuracy of the sources.
All divisions in the Waffen-SS were ordered in a single series as formed, regardless of type. Those tagged with nationalities were at least nominally recruited from those nationalities. Many of the higher-numbered units were small battlegroups (Kampfgruppen), i.e., divisions in name only.
As a general rule, an “SS Division” is made up of Germans, or other Germanic peoples, while a “Division of the SS” is made up of non-Germanic volunteers.
Just Click on Any Picture Below to Make it Large for Viewing!!
Go to these Links to find the following SS-Divisions:
1st SS Panzer Division – Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler – Go to this Link
2nd SS Panzer Division – Das Reich – Go to this Link
5th SS Panzer Division – Wiking – Go to this Link
12th SS Panzer Division – Hitlerjudgend– Go to This Link
3rd SS Panzer Division Totenkopf
The 3rd SS Panzer Division Totenkopf (skull), also known as the 3rd SS Panzergrenadier Division Totenkopf and 3rd SS Division Totenkopf during its existence, was one of 38 divisions of the Waffen-SS, the armed wing of the German Nazi Party that served alongside but was never formally part of the Wehrmacht during World War II. Prior to achieving division status, the formation was known as Kampfgruppe (battlegroup) “Eicke”. The division is infamous due to its insignia and the fact that most of the initial enlisted soldiers were SS-Totenkopfverbände (SS concentration camp guards), and as such, it is sometimes referred to as the “Death’s Head Division”. Members of the division participated in several war crimes.
The Totenkopf division was one of the “Germanic” divisions of the Waffen-SS. These included 1st SS Panzer Division Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler, 2nd SS Panzer Division Das Reich, and 5th SS Panzer Division Wiking.
The 4th SS Polizei Panzergrenadier Division (4. SS-Polizei-Panzergrenadier-Division) was one of the thirty-eight divisions fielded as part of the Waffen-SS during World War II.
The division was formed in 1939 as part of the Ordnungspolizei or Orpo (Uniformed National Police). While all German police organizations were controlled by Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler in his capacity as Chief of German Police in the Interior Ministry, they were not at this time considered part of the SS, nor was the Polizei Division on par with the other Waffen-SS divisions. This status was reflected in the quality of the equipment they were issued and their retention of police insignia and rank structure. The division was transferred to the Waffen-SS in 1942 and was upgraded to a Panzergrenadier division. It fought in France, the Soviet Union, Greece (where it orchestrated the Distomo Reprisal) and Pomerania and surrendered to the Americans in May 1945.
6th SS Mountain Division Nord
The 6th SS Mountain Division Nord was a German unit of the Waffen-SS during World War II, formed in February 1941 as SS Kampfgruppe Nord (SS Battle Group North).
The Division was the only Waffen-SS unit to fight in the Arctic Circle when it was stationed in Finland and northern Russia between June and November 1941. It fought in Karelia until the Finnish armistice in September 1944 when it marched on foot 1,600 km through Finland and Norway. It arrived in Denmark in December and then transferred to western Germany. It fought in the Nordwind offensive in January 1945, where it suffered heavy losses. In early April 1945 the division was destroyed after several days of combat against the US 71st Infantry Division near Budingen, Germany.
Their logo features the Hagal (Armanen rune).
7th SS Volunteer Mountain Division Prinz Eugen
The 7th SS Volunteer Mountain Division Prinz Eugen was a German mountain infantry division of the Waffen-SS, the armed wing of the German Nazi Party that served alongside but was never formally part of the Wehrmacht during World War II. Formed in 1941 from Volksdeutsche (ethnic German) volunteers and conscripts from the Banat, Independent State of Croatia (NDH), Hungary and Romania, it fought a counter-insurgency campaign against communist-led Yugoslav Partisan resistance forces in the Territory of the Military Commander in Serbia, NDH and Montenegro. It was given the title Prinz Eugen after Prince Eugene of Savoy, an outstanding military leader of the Habsburg Empire who liberated the Banat and Belgrade from the Ottoman Empire in the Austro-Turkish War of 1716–1718. It was initially named the SS-Freiwilligen-Division Prinz Eugen (SS-Volunteer Division Prinz Eugen).
8th SS Cavalry Division Florian Geyer
The 8th SS Cavalry Division Florian Geyer was a Waffen-SS cavalry Division during World War II. It was formed in 1942 from a cadre of the SS Cavalry Brigade which was involved in anti partisan operations behind the front line and was responsible for the extermination of tens of thousands of the civilian population.
About 40% of the division were Volksdeutsche from Siebenbürgen (Transylvania) and Banat (Serbia). The Training and Replacement Battalion of the 8th SS Cavalry Division was involved in suppressing the 1943 Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.
In March 1944, it was named after Florian Geyer (1490–1525), the Franconian nobleman who led the Black Company during the German Peasants’ War.
The Division was destroyed during the fighting in Budapest in early 1945.
9th SS Panzer Division Hohenstaufen
The 9th SS Panzer Division “Hohenstaufen”, also known as SS-Panzergrenadier-Division 9 Hohenstaufen, was a German Waffen-SS Armoured division which saw action on both the Eastern and Western Fronts during World War II. The division was activated on the 31 December 1942. Many of the men of the division were young German conscripts, with a cadre of experienced nco’s and staff from the Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler. Their first action was in March 1944 in Poland; they were then moved to Normandy in June that year. After the retreat from France, they were moved to Arnhem in September 1944, to rest and refit and became involved in the Allied parachute landings. Their next action was the German advance in the Ardennes in the winter of 1944–1945. After defeat in the Ardennes, the division was moved to Hungary, where it took part in the fighting to the west of Budapest in February and March. Falling back into Austria, the division surrendered to the advancing United States Army on 5 May 1945, at Steyr.
10th SS Panzer Division Frundsberg
The 10th SS Panzer Division Frundsberg or 10.SS-Panzer-Division Frundsberg was a German Waffen SS panzer division. The division was formed at the beginning of 1943 as a reserve for the expected Allied invasion of France. However, their first campaign was in the Ukraine in April 1944. Highly motivated after combat success in the Ukraine, the unit was then transported back to the west, where it fought the Allies in France and at Arnhem. The division was later transported to Pomerania, then fought south east of Berlin in the Lausitz area until the end of the war. Unlike several of the earlier SS panzer divisions, the “Frundsberg” division did not engage in atrocities against either civilians or combatants. Based on its fighting record, it was an elite division that also had a reputation for fighting a “clean war.” Postwar, the division had a very active veteran’s association.
11th SS Volunteer Panzergrenadier Division Nordland
The 11th SS Volunteer Panzergrenadier Division Nordland, also known as Kampfverband Waräger, Germanische-Freiwilligen-Division, SS-Panzergrenadier-Division 11 (Germanische) or 11. SS-Freiwilligen-Panzergrenadier-Division Nordland, was a Waffen SS, Panzergrenadier division recruited from foreign volunteers. It saw action in Croatia and on the Eastern Front during World War II.
13th SS Mountain Division – Handschar – 1st Croatian
The 13th Waffen Mountain Division of the SS Handschar (1st Croatian) was a German mountain infantry division of the Waffen-SS, the armed wing of the German Nazi Party that served alongside but was never formally part of the Wehrmacht during World War II. From March to December 1944, it fought a counter-insurgency campaign against communist-led Yugoslav Partisan resistance forces in the Independent State of Croatia, a fascist puppet state of Nazi Germany that encompassed almost all of modern-day Croatia and all of modern-day Bosnia and Herzegovina as well as parts of Serbia. It was given the title Handschar after a local fighting knife or sword carried by Turkish policemen during the centuries that the region was part of the Ottoman Empire. It was the first non-Germanic Waffen-SS division, and its formation marked the expansion of the Waffen-SS into a multi-ethnic military force. Composed of Bosnian Muslims (ethnic Bosniaks) with some Catholic Croat soldiers and mostly German and Yugoslav Volksdeutsche (ethnic German) officers and non-commissioned officers, it took an oath of allegiance to both Adolf Hitler and the Croatian leader Ante Pavelić.
The division fought briefly in the Syrmia region north of the Sava river prior to crossing into northeastern Bosnia. After crossing the Sava, it established a designated “security zone” in north-eastern Bosnia between the Sava, Bosna, Drina and Spreča rivers. It also fought outside the security zone on several occasions, and earned a reputation for brutality and savagery, not only during combat operations, but also through atrocities committed against Serb and Jewish civilians. In late 1944, parts of the division were transferred briefly to the Zagreb area, after which the non-German members began to desert in large numbers. Over the winter of 1944–1945, it was sent to the Baranja region where it fought against the Red Army and Bulgarians throughout southern Hungary, falling back via a series of defensive lines until they were inside the Reich frontier. Most of the remaining Bosnian Muslims left at this point and attempted to return to Bosnia. The rest retreated further west, hoping to surrender to the Western Allies. Most of the remaining members became prisoners of the British Army. Subsequently, thirty-eight officers were extradited to Yugoslavian authorities to face criminal charges, and 10 were executed. Hundreds of former members of the division fought in the 1947–48 Civil War in Mandatory Palestine and the 1948 Arab–Israeli War.
14th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS -1st Galician (Ukrainian)
The 14th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS -1st Galician (German: 14. Waffen-Grenadier-Division der SS (galizische Nr. 1), prior to 1944 titled the 14th SS-Volunteer Division “Galicia” (German: 14. SS-Freiwilligen Division “Galizien”), was a World War II German military formation made up predominantly of volunteers with a Ukrainian ethnic background from the area of Galicia, later also with some Slovaks and Czechs. Formed in 1943, it was largely destroyed in the battle of Brody, reformed, and saw action in Slovakia, Yugoslavia, and Austria before being renamed the first division of the Ukrainian National Army and surrendering to the Western Allies by 10 May 1945.
15th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS – 1st Latvian
The 15th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (1st Latvian) (German: 15. Waffen-Grenadier-Division der SS (lettische Nr.1), Latvian: 15. ieroču SS grenadieru divīzija (latviešu Nr. 1)) was an Infantry Division of the Waffen SS during World War II. It was formed in February 1943, and together with its sister unit, the 19th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (2nd Latvian) formed the Latvian Legion.
16th SS Panzergrenadier Division Reichsführer-SS
The 16th SS Panzergrenadier Division “Reichsführer-SS” (German: 16. SS-Panzergrenadier-Division Reichsführer SS) was a motorised formation in the Waffen-SS of Nazi Germany during World War II.
The division, during it’s time in Italy, committed a number of war crimes, and, together with the 1st Fallschirm-Panzer Division Hermann Göring, was dis-proportionally involved in massacres of the civilian population. One possible reason for the division’s increased involvement in war crimes has been identified in the fact that a large number of its leadership originally came from the SS-Totenkopfverbände.
17th SS Panzergrenadier Division Götz von Berlichingen
The 17th SS Panzergrenadier Division Götz von Berlichingen (German: 17. SS-Panzergrenadier-Division Götz von Berlichingen) was a German Waffen-SS division that saw action on the Western Front during World War II.
18th SS Volunteer Panzergrenadier Division Horst Wessel
The 18th SS Volunteer Panzer Grenadier Division Horst Wessel was formed in 1944 around a cadre from the 1 SS Infantry Brigade and included mainly Hungarian ethnic Germans or Volksdeutsche (Volksdeutsche is a historical term which arose in the early 20th century to apply to Germans living outside of the German Empire). The 8th SS Volunteer Sturmbrigade France was led by a former Foreign Legionnaire, Obersturmbannführer Paul Marie Gamory-Dubourdeau. The 1st battalion of about 1000 men was attached to SS Division Horst Wessel and sent to Galicia to fight the Soviet advance. In fierce fighting the battalion suffered heavy casualties. It was used for anti-partisan duties until it was sent to the Eastern front, with the exception of one regiment that fought the Slovak National Uprising in August 1944. It later fought as a single unit in Hungary and later in Czechoslovakia where it was destroyed.
The Division was named after the SA or (Sturmabteilung) hero Horst Wessel, a German Nazi known for being the author of lyrics to the song “Die Fahne hoch” (Horst Wessel Lied) and for being glorified by the Nazi regime as a martyr of the early years of the Nazi party.
19th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS – 2nd Latvian
The 19th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (2nd Latvian) (German: 19. Waffen-Grenadier-Division der SS (lettische Nr.2), Latvian: 19. ieroču SS grenadieru divīzija (latviešu Nr. 2)) was an Infantry Division of the Waffen-SS during World War II. It was the second Latvian division formed in January 1944, after its sister unit, the 15th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (1st Latvian) with which it formed the Latvian Legion. It was surrounded in the Courland Pocket at the end of the war where it surrendered to the Red Army.
The division was formed in January 1944, from 2 SS Infantry Brigade with the addition of a newly raised third regiment, Waffen Grenadier Regiment 46 (Latvian No. 6). Simultaneously, the designations of the two other grenadier regiments were changed from 39 and 40 to 42 and 43 respectively. The commander of the 2nd SS Infantry Brigade, SS-Oberführer Hinrich Schuldt became the first commander of the division. After Schuldt was killed in action on 15 March 1944, SS-Standartenführer Friedrich-Wilhelm Bock temporarily took command, being replaced on April 13 by SS-Oberführer Bruno Streckenbach, who led the division until the end of war.
20th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS – 1st Estonian
20th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (1st Estonian) (German: 20.Waffen-Grenadier-Division der SS (estnische Nr.1), Estonian: 20. Eesti diviis) was a unit of the Waffen SS established on 25 May 1944 in German-occupied Estonia during World War II. Formed in Spring 1944 after the general conscription-mobilization was announced in Estonia on 31 January 1944 by the German occupying authorities, the cadre of the 3rd Estonian SS Volunteer Brigade, renamed the 20th Estonian SS Volunteer Division on 23 January 1944, was returned to Estonia and reformed. Additionally, 38,000 men were conscripted in Estonia and other Estonian units that had fought on various fronts in the German Army, and the Finnish Infantry Regiment 200 was rushed to Estonia.
Estonian officers and men in other units that fell under the conscription proclamation and had returned to Estonia had their rank prefix changed from “SS” to “Waffen” (Hauptscharführer would be referred to as a Waffen-Hauptscharführer rather than SS-Hauptscharführer). The wearing of SS runes on the collar was forbidden, and these formations began wearing national insignia instead.
The Division fought the Red Army on the Eastern Front and surrendered in May 1945.
21st Waffen Mountain Division of the SS Skanderbeg
The 21st Waffen Mountain Division of the SS Skanderbeg -1st Albanian, was a German mountain infantry division of the Waffen-SS.
The division was developed around the nucleus of an ethnic Albanian battalion which had briefly seen combat against the Yugoslav Partisans in eastern Bosnia as part of the 13th Waffen Mountain Division of the SS Handschar – 1st Croatian. Composed of Albanians with mostly German and Yugoslav Volksdeutsche (ethnic German) officers and non-commissioned officers, it was given the title Skanderbeg after medieval Albanian lord George Kastrioti Skanderbeg, who defended the region of Albania against the Ottoman Empire for more than two decades in the 15th century.
Skanderbeg never reached divisional strength, being at most a brigade-sized formation of between 6,000 and 6,500 troops. In May 1944, members of the division arrested 281 Jews in Pristina and handed them over to the Germans, who transported them to the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp, where many were killed. The division itself was better known for this action and for murdering, raping, and looting in predominantly Serb areas than for participating in combat operations on behalf of the German war effort. Its only significant military actions took place during a German anti-Partisan offensive in the German occupied territory of Montenegro in June and July 1944. Following those operations, the unit was deployed as a guard force at the chromium mines in Kosovo, where it was quickly overrun by the Partisans, leading to widespread desertion. Reinforced by German Kriegsmarine personnel and with fewer than 500 Albanians remaining in its ranks, it was disbanded on 1 November 1944. The remaining members were incorporated into the 7th SS Volunteer Mountain Division Prinz Eugen. After the war, divisional commander SS-Brigadeführer und Generalmajor der Waffen-SS August Schmidhuber was found guilty of war crimes by a court in Belgrade and executed in 1947.
22nd SS Volunteer Cavalry Division Maria Theresia
The 22nd SS Volunteer Cavalry Division (22. SS-Freiwilligen Kavallerie-Division) was a German Waffen SS cavalry division which was active on the Eastern Front during the Second World War. The division was composed primarily of Hungarian Army Volksdeutsche conscripts who were transferred to the Waffen-SS following an agreement between Germany and Hungary. The division is commonly known under the Maria Theresia name in publications, although no documents have been found to confirm this name.
23rd SS Volunteer Panzer Grenadier Division Nederland
The 23rd SS Volunteer Panzer Grenadier Division Nederland (German: 23. SS-Freiwilligen Panzergrenadier-Division Nederland (niederländische Nr. 1)) was a German Waffen-SS division comprising volunteers from the Netherlands. It saw action on the Eastern Front during World War II from November 1941.
In February 1945, the 4th SS Brigade Nederland was merged into the SS Division Nordland, but after protests from the Dutch Nazi party, the National Socialist Movement in the Netherlands, it was formed into its own SS Panzergrenadier Division, although its strength never reached more than a brigade.
24th Waffen Mountain Division of the SS Karstjäger
The 24th Waffen Mountain Division of the SS “Karstjäger” was a German mountain infantry division of the Waffen-SS, the armed wing of the German Nazi Party that served alongside, but was never formally part of, the Wehrmacht during World War II. Named Karstjäger, it was one of the 38 divisions fielded by the Waffen-SS. Formed on 18 July 1944 from the SS Volunteer Karstwehr Battalion, its nominal strength was never more than theoretical and the division was soon reduced to the Waffen Mountain (Karstjäger) Brigade of the SS. Throughout its existence as a battalion, division and brigade, it was primarily involved in fighting partisans in the Karst Plateau on the frontiers of Yugoslavia, Italy, and Austria; the mountainous terrain required specialised mountain troops and equipment.
Founded in 1942 as a company, the unit consisted mainly of Yugoslav Volksdeutsche and recruits from South Tyrol. Although focused on anti-partisan operations, it also saw action in the wake of the Italian surrender when it moved to disarm Italian troops in Tarvisio and protect ethnic German communities in Italy. In addition, at the end of the war it successfully fought to keep passes into Austria open, allowing German units to escape the Balkans and surrender to British forces. The remnants of the unit became some of the last Germans to lay down their arms when they surrendered to the British 6th Armoured Division on 9 May 1945. A joint Italian-German study implicated the division in 23 separate war crimes involving the killing of a total of 277 people between the Italian surrender and the end of the war.
25th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS Hunyadi -1st Hungarian
The 25th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS Hunyadi (1st Hungarian) was a short-lived infantry division of the Waffen-SS. Established in November 1944 following the German overthrow of the Hungarian regime of Miklós Horthy, it consisted mainly of troops drawn from the Royal Hungarian Army’s 13th Honvéd Division. It was never properly formed, trained, or equipped, and after being evacuated from its training camp in the face of the advancing Soviet Red Army, it surrendered to the United States Army in Austria in May 1945.
26th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS – 2nd Hungarian
The 26th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (2nd Hungarian) was a short-lived infantry division of the Waffen-SS, an armed branch of the German Nazi Party that served alongside but was never formally part of the Wehrmacht during World War II. Established in November 1944 following the German overthrow of the Hungarian regime of Miklós Horthy, it was never properly formed, trained, or equipped, and after being evacuated from its training camp in the face of the advancing Soviet Red Army, it surrendered to the United States Army in Austria in May 1945.
27th SS Volunteer Division Langemarck
The Flemish Legion (Dutch: Vlaams Legioen) was a collaborationist military formation recruited among Dutch-speaking volunteers from German-occupied Belgium, notably from Flanders. It fought on the Eastern Front during World War II. In May 1943, it became the SS-Sturmbrigade Langemarck and subsequently expanded to division-status in September 1944, though never reached full strength.
The Flemish Legion was originally created by the Vlaams Nationaal Verbond (VNV), an authoritarian Flemish nationalist political party, in the aftermath of the German invasion of the Soviet Union. Initial hopes that the unit would be largely independent were soon crushed as the Waffen SS asserted control over the unit.
28th SS Volunteer Grenadier Division Wallonia – Walloon Legion
The Walloon Legion (French: Légion Wallonie) was a collaborationist military formation recruited among French-speaking volunteers from German-occupied Belgium, notably from Brussels and Wallonia, during World War II. First raised in July 1941 shortly after the German invasion of the Soviet Union, the unit was supported by the Rexist Party as a demonstration of its loyalty towards Nazi Germany. The unit served on the Eastern Front, initially as a unit of the Wehrmacht and, after June 1943, in the Waffen-SS. Though sustaining heavy casualties, the unit increased from battalion to brigade and eventually division-size before surrendering to the British in April 1945.
29th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS – 1st Italian
The 29th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS – 1st Italian also Legione SS Italiana (German: 29. Waffen-Grenadier-Division der SS (Italienische Nr. 1/ Russische Nr.1)) was created on 10 February 1945 as the second SS-Division numbered 29. The first, the 29th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS – 1st Russian, was disbanded. The new unit created in November 1943, was based on the Waffen-Grenadier-Brigade der SS (Italienische Nr. 1). The division is also called Italia.
30th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS
The 30th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (German: 30. Waffen-Grenadier-Division der SS) was a German Waffen SS infantry division formed largely from Belarusian, Russian and Ukrainian personnel of the Schutzmannschaft-Brigade Siegling in August 1944 at Warsaw, Poland. The division was transferred to southeastern France by mid-August 1944 to combat the French Forces of the Interior (FFI). The division’s performance in combat was poor, and two battalions mutinied, murdered their German leaders, and defected to the FFI. Other troops of the division crossed the Swiss border and were interned. Afterward, some of the division’s personnel were transferred to the Russian Liberation Army while others were retained to form the SS White Ruthenian infantry brigade from January 1945.
31st SS Volunteer Grenadier Division
The 31st SS Volunteer Grenadier Division was formed from Germans, Hungarians, and Volksdeutsche, mostly from the Bačka in September 1944. The division is sometimes given the title Batschka. By November 1944 it was in action on the Hungarian Front In January 1945 it was sent to Austria and reformed as a type 45 Division; only two Battalions in each Regiment and only three platoons in each Company.
It then joined the 17th Army in Silesia where it was surrounded by the Red Army and surrendered near Hradec Králové in May 1945.
32nd SS Volunteer Grenadier Division 30 Januar
The 32nd SS Volunteer Grenadier Division 30 Januar (German: 32. SS-Freiwilligen Grenadier-Division 30. Januar) was formed in January 1945 from what remained of other units and staff and pupils from SS schools and various other troops. The division fought as part of the V SS Mountain Corps, on the Oder front, just north of Furstenburg and in the Battle of Berlin. The division was destroyed in the Halbe pocket, but part of the unit surrendered to the Americans at Tangermünde.
33rd Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS Charlemagne – 1st French
The 33rd Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS Charlemagne (1st French) and Charlemagne Regiment are collective names used for units of French volunteers in the Wehrmacht and later Waffen-SS during World War II. From estimates of 7,400 to 11,000 at its peak in 1944, the strength of the division fell to just sixty men in May 1945.
They were one of the last German units to see action in a pitched battle during World War II, where they held central Berlin and the Führerbunker against the onslaught of Soviet infantry. Knowing that they would not survive should Germany be defeated, they were among the last to surrender in the brutal house-to-house and street-to-street fighting, during the final days of the Battle in Berlin.
Its crest is a representation of the dual empire of Charlemagne, which united the Franks in what would become France and Germany. The Imperial eagle on the left-side represents Germany and the fleurs-de-lys on the right-side represents France.
34th SS Volunteer Grenadier Division Landstorm Nederland
The 34th SS Volunteer Grenadier Division Landstorm Nederland was a Division during World War II which wasn’t officially an SS unit, although it was subjected to Waffen-SS laws and jurisdiction of the SS-und Polizeigericht. The men wore the Feldgrau uniform of the Waffen-SS, but without the Sig-runes. The German officers and transferred eastern front veterans were allowed to keep wearing the runes.. It was formed by the converting of the SS Volunteer Grenadier-Brigade Landstorm Nederland into a division. It comprised volunteers of Dutch background and saw action on the Western Front, but its strength never reached more than a brigade.
Their insignia features the Wolfsangel rune.
35th SS-Police Grenadier Division
The 35th SS und Police Grenadier Division (German: 35. SS und Polizei-Grenadier-Division) was an infantry division of the Waffen-SS of Nazi Germany during World War II. It was created from SS-Police units transferred to the Waffen-SS. It was formed in the spring of 1945, and its actual strength is not known. As part of the German Ninth Army, it was badly mauled on the approaches to Berlin during the Battle of the Seelow Heights, and was destroyed during the Battle of Halbe. Various remnants surrendered to American and Soviet forces near the demarcation line of the Elbe.
36th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS / 36. Waffengrenadier-Division der SS / SS-Sturmbrigade Dirlewanger
The 36th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS, also known as the SS-Sturmbrigade Dirlewanger (1944), or simply the Dirlewanger Brigade, was a military unit of the Waffen-SS during World War II, and was led by convicted child rapist Oskar Dirlewanger. Originally formed for anti-partisan duties against the Polish resistance; the unit eventually saw action in Slovakia, Hungary, and against the Soviet Red Army near the end of the war. During its operations it engaged in the rape, pillaging and mass murder of civilians.
The unit participated in some of World War II’s most notorious campaigns of terror in the east. During the organization’s time in Russia, Dirlewanger burned women and children alive and let the starved packs of dogs feed on them. He was known to hold large formations with the sole purpose of injecting Jews with strychnine. Dirlewanger’s unit took part in the occupation of Belarus, where it carved out a reputation within the Waffen-SS as an atrocious unit. Numerous Heer and SS commanders attempted to remove Dirlewanger from the SS and disband the unit, although he had patrons within the Nazi apparatus who intervened on his behalf. His unit was most notably credited with the destruction of Warsaw, and the massacre of the city’s population during the Warsaw Uprising; and participating in the brutal suppression of the Slovak National Uprising in 1944. Dirlewanger’s unit earned notoriety as the most criminal and heinous SS unit in Hitler’s war machine.
37th SS Volunteer Cavalry Division Lützow
37th SS Volunteer Cavalry Division Lützow (German: 37. SS-Freiwilligen Kavallerie-Division “Lützow”) was a unit in the Waffen-SS of Nazi Germany unit of World War II. It was formed in February 1945, consisting of remnants of SS Cavalry Division Florian Geyer and SS Cavalry Division Maria Theresia, in addition to mostly under-age German, Hungarian Volkdeutsche, and ethnic Hungarian recruits. The division was intended to have three cavalry regiments of two battalions each, but due to lack of men and equipment it could only field two understrength regiments as its main combat units.
Initially the division was commanded by SS-Oberführer Waldemar Fegelein, but in March he was replaced by SS-Standartenführer Karl Gesele. The unit saw action against Soviets as a part of 6. SS-Panzerarmee during the final weeks of war, before surrendering to Americans in Austria in May. It was named after the Prussian general Adolf von Lützow.
38th SS Division Nibelungen
The 38th SS Division Nibelungen (German: 38. SS-Panzergrenadier-Division “Nibelungen”) was a Waffen-SS military unit of Nazi Germany during World War II. It was formed in March 1945 from the staff and trainees of the SS-Junkerschule (SS leadership training school) at Bad Tölz.