The Reich Chancellery (German: Reichskanzlei) was the traditional name of the office of the Chancellor of Germany (then called Reichskanzler) in the period of the German Reich from 1871 to 1945. The Chancellery’s seat from 1875 was the former city palace of Prince Antoni Radziwiłł (1775–1833) on Wilhelmstraße in Berlin. Both the palace and a new Reich Chancellery building (completed in early 1939) were seriously damaged during World War II and subsequently demolished.
Today the office of the German chancellor is usually called Kanzleramt (Chancellor’s Office), or more formally Bundeskanzleramt (Federal Chancellor’s Office). The latter is also the name of the new seat of the Chancellor’s Office, completed in 2001.
Just Click on Any Picture Below to Make it Large for Viewing!!
Max Wünsche and the actress Magda Schneider at a film screening and a subsequent film ball in the Reich Chancellery, 1940.
German actress Hannelore Schroth posed in a chair in the Reich Chancellery (Reichskanzlei) during an artists reception for the 4th “Große Deutsche Kunstausstellung” (Great German Art Exhibition), Berlin, 27 July 1940.
German actress Marieluise Claudius leans back in a chair in the Reich Chancellery (Reichskanzlei) during an artists reception for the 4th “Große Deutsche Kunstausstellung” (Great German Art Exhibition), Berlin, 27 July 1940.
Modern Day Photos
The corner of Wilhelmstraße and Voßstraße today, now occupied by an apartment block and a Chinese restaurant.
A bronze Nazi eagle from the New Reich Chancellery on display at the Imperial War Museum.
A part of the Soviet War Memorial at Treptower Park, supposedly built from red marble – actually granite – which was said to be taken from the ruins of the New Reich Chancellery.
Off Color Photos
The Reichskanzlerpalais around 1895.
Black and White Photos
The main building and the small courtyard of the Old Reich Chancellery at its former location on Wilhelmstraße (now demolished).
1930 extension, view from Wilhelmplatz.
The New Reich Chancellery under construction in 1938.
The New Reich Chancellery, pictured here on the junction of Hermann-Göring-Straße and Voßstraße in 1939.
The New Reich Chancellery as pictured on Voss Street in 1939.
The New Reich Chancellery’s Courtyard of Honor in 1939.
The New Reich Chancellery’s garden portal (gateway) in 1939.
The New Reich Chancellery’s grand marble gallery in 1939.
The New Reich Chancellery’s Reich government chamber (parliament) in 1939.
The New Reich Chancellery’s work-study office/room for Hitler in 1939.
Adolf Hitler receives Obergefreiter Hubert Brinkforth from Schützen-Regiment 25 /12.Panzer-Division in the Reichskanzlei, Berlin, 5 April 1941. Brinkforth is most notable for being the first enlisted man to be awarded the Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes (Knight’s Cross of the Iron Cross).